Aug 8, 2010

City Park

New Orleans City Park waterway


On the way back from my bike ride this morning, I made a little circle through part of New Orleans City Park. There is so much to do and see in City Park that it's almost overwhelming. I'm really quite impressed with this amazing resource that New Orleans has to offer... unfortunately, I only rode through a small part of the park this morning so I only have a few pictures. As I begin to take advantage of the park more, I will document and post everything that it has to offer!



New Orleans City Park covers about 1,300 acres in the Mid-City area of New Orleans.


View Larger Map

For a labeled map of City Park and it's attractions, click HERE.

There is so much to do in City Park that it's too much to even list here. For a directory of attractions and activities, click HERE.

New Orleans City Park bridge

The streets that wind through city park take you through a classic South Louisiana landscape with picturesque bridges, green lawns and mossy live oaks. Oh, and TONS of birds! What is this one, a pelican? I don't know but there are tons of ducks and geese to feed too... bring some bread.

New Orleans Live Oak mossy

It's funny because up north the trees grow straight up. Down here in the south, they grow up, down, sideways and every direction in-between. I find that so peculiar.

New Orleans Live Oak

But I guess that's what makes them so beautiful and special. For more information about the Live Oak trees in City Park, click HERE.

In addition to mother nature's fine artwork, City Park also boasts the New Orleans Museum of Art (or NOMA).

New Orleans Museum of Art

The museum is located in the southeastern corner of the park. Near the museum there is a small lake surrounded by a biking/walking path where you can rent bikes, paddle boats or go on gondola rides.


View Larger Map

In addition to the Museum of Art, large outdoor pieces are scattered throughout the grounds. This is one of my favorites... the picture doesn't do it justice!

art in New Orleans City Park

If you get up close you can see just how intricate the work is.

art in New Orleans City Park

One of the biggest features of city park (IMHO) is its resources for physical activity. Not only does it offer plenty of roads, sidewalks and pathways to walk, bike or jog on but it also boasts two stadiums for sporting events.

Tad Gormley Stadium

Here is the larger of the two, Tad Gormley Stadium. The park also has a golf course and driving range, tennis courts, an equestrian center and lots more.

As I was biking along, I noticed this on the road...

crescent city classic

The Crescent City Classic is a huge 10k race that happens every year in the city. I've heard a lot of talk about it but never really knew where it was held. Apparently, it begins down town and ends right there on that spot in City Park.

By that time I felt like I had biked 10k and it was time to head home. I can't wait to see and do more in City Park. It really is beautiful so if you visit the city or live here and haven't made it out yet, do it...SOON. It will be your new favorite spot!

1 comment:

  1. Just surfing by - Nice shot. Nice park. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete