Jul 25, 2010

Jazmine Cafe

Jazmine Cafe

Rating (1-10): 7
Price: $8-$15 per entre


I had some out of town visitors this weekend so I took the opportunity to splurge. The first thing I wanted (or needed) to do was get my Beef Pho fix. So, after doing a little research, we decided on the Jazmine Cafe.



The Jazmine Cafe is located at 614 South Carrollton Avenue near the "University" area (Tulane and Loyola).


View Larger Map

The atmosphere was nice with dim lighting and nice big windows overlooking the lush, green landscape of the uptown/university area. The streetcar runs along Carrollton Ave. just outside the windows which provides great scenery for a nice relaxing meal.

At 7:30pm on a Friday evening, we were the only diners in the restaurant although it steadily filled up within the next hour. So, if you're looking for some place that is not shoulder to shoulder busy on a Friday night, you might have a winner with the Jazmine Cafe.

Because I'm nursing a cold, I ordered a hot jasmine flower tea. Although it was pricey ($3), it was delicious and very fun to drink. This tea boasts whole green tea leaves that are woven around a flower bud which slowly unfurls as the tea steeps. Check out the transformation:



Two of my companions ordered dinner entrees which came with a bowl of clear soup. To my delight, they didn't want it so I happily slurped it up.

clear soup

The soup really surprised me. It had an incredible depth of flavor for a clear soup and a slight sweetness that perfectly balanced the flavor of the scallions. This humble soup was a winner!

The entrees came out soon after the appetizers (perhaps too soon, appetizers were only half eaten). An enormous bowl of Beef Pho was set before me. YUM. Along side the bowl of soup comes a plate full of the traditional additives/garnishes (cilantro, basil, jalapeno and bean sprouts). Don't leave these out of your pho! They add flavor and complexity which intensifies the longer they steep in the broth.

beef pho

I've seen better presentation with the "extras", here they were simply piled onto a plate in disarray. But, in the end they were fresh and still tasted great so I guess that's what is important.

dressed pho

The table was equip with two bottles of sauce (a delicious brown sauce and sriracha) which we all took FULL advantage of. I was amused to see how empty the once full bottles were at the end of the meal. I used quite a bit in my pho.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the Jazmine Cafe had recently jumped on the Banh Mi bandwagon. Banh Mi is a Vietnamese sandwich often compared to the American Submarine. I've been seeing it all over lately and have been dying to try one. They weren't listed on the online menu but a small list of Banh Mi sandwiches was clipped to the front of each menu in the restaurant. Hopefully this is a permanent addition, since I didn't get to order one this time.

banh mi

One of my companions ordered the Vietnamese Meatball Banh Mi. This picture may have been after the tasty greens (cilantro) were removed (people who don't like cilantro are crazy IMHO). He seemed pretty satisfied with the sandwich. Also, as we ate two young men were seated next to us who were apparently on a return visit for the sandwiches (yes, I eves drop in restaurants). They ordered four Banh Mi sandwiches between the two of them.

I will most likely be going back to the Jazmine Cafe. The location was easy to get to, the prices were decent and I want to try every Banh Mi on their menu! Although I have had better Pho, it was good enough to feed my craving and at about $7, it's enough for two meals.

If you've been to the Jazmine Cafe and have a favorite menu item to suggest, share it in the comments section below!

love note
This is a lovely sriracha love note that my sweetheart left me on a napkin. THAT'S HOT (har har har).

1 comment:

  1. I swear I didn't read this blog before I posted on your other one regarding hot sauce! I just had Pho yesterday at PhoSo1 in Simi Valley. Although I got the shrimp pho I eat mine exactly the same as you. I still have half of it at home for lunch. yum.

    ReplyDelete